Ordering from America? Visit our US store.
- £10 Albums
- £15 Albums
- Summer Sale 2019
- Pre Orders
- New Releases
- Limited Edition
- Coloured Vinyl
- SOV Messenger
- Want to be the first to hear about exclusives? Click Here to find out more!
Keb Darge & Cut Chemist present The Dark Side – 30 Sixties Garage Punk and Psyche Monsters
Various Artists, Keb Darge, Cut Chemist
- Release Date 10 March 2017
- Sorry Sold Out
- Product code
- Double Vinyl LP
Picking up where they left off on the 2007 compilation 'Lost & Found – Rockabilly & Jump Blues', Keb Darge & Cut Chemist join forces once again, this time to explore the wonderful world of 1960s Garage music. While Rockabilly could be defined as a DIY emulation of the music of Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and others by young American artists, Garage was heavily influenced by British bands of the day like the Beatles, Kinks & Rolling Stones. Simple drum kits, guitars and the occasional organ keep the sound honest and raw, retaining a palpable sense of excitement even to this day. With a multitude of bands springing up all over the USA, many of these wonderful records were released in tiny numbers, making certain titles almost impossible to find. Keb Darge’s love affair with this intriguing genre happened almost by accident, while on the hunt for obscure Northern Soul records. "DJ Shadow told me I would like Garage years ago, but I didn’t listen." Hearing a few records he liked and being assured by collectors that they were classified as ‘Garage’ got him hooked, so for the last years he’s been digging obsessively for the stuff. Knowing Cut Chemist was a collector, he suggested they collaborate on a compilation, and 'The Dark Side' was born. 30 obscure records, some of which change hands for frightening amounts of money, all with wonderful stories attached as told in Keb’s encyclopedic and entertaining liner notes.
“This compilation is not aimed at the many collectors of this wonderful style of music. I am a very late arrival on this scene, and still have a hell of a lot to learn, and buy. This is more for people like I was just three years ago, people oblivious to beauty, power, and excitement of the sixties garage sound.” – Keb Darge 2016
1. Ty Wagner – Slander
2. Teddy And His Patches - Suzy Creamcheese
3. The Banshees - Project Blue
4. The Del-Vetts - Last Time Around
5. Caretakers of Deception - Cuttin' Grass
6. The Deepest Blue - Pretty Little Thing
7. The Gentlemen - It's A Cry'n Shame
8. Red Beard and the Pirates - Go On Leave
9. The Nobles - Something Else
10. Captain Crunch and The Crew - Nowadays People
11. The Malibu's - Cry (Over Her)
12. The Mach 5 - If I Could
13. The Passions - Lively One
14. Young Aristocracy - Look and See!
15. The Berkley Five - You're Gonna Cry
16. Al's Untouchables - Come On Baby & Stick Around
17. Larry & the Blue Notes - In And Out
18. The Lyrics - So What!!
19. The Spacemen - Modman
20. The Savoy's - Can It Be
21. The Dogs - Don't Try To Help Me
22. The Omens - Searching
23. The Choab - Why Am I Alone?
24. The Chantes - Hypnotized
25. The Sound Track - I See The Light
26. The Spades - I'm Alright
27. The Outsiders - Just Let Me Be
28. The Aventés - Baby Go
29. The Tigermen - Tiger Girl
30. The Blue Velvets - Don't Leave Me This Way