- Pre Orders
- Limited Edition
- New Releases
- Label Of The Month - Fat Cat Records
- SOV Essentials
- Release Date 05 August 2016
- In Stock
- Product code
- Vinyl LP
- Anthology Recordings
- 140 gram Black Vinyl cut at 33rpm.
- Previously unreleased photos and art.
- LP Jacket (standard) printed with flood matte finish, and uv spot gloss on cover.
- Vinyl comes with 16 page booklet with rare photos, ephemera and liner notes from Stephen McParland and Lindsay Bjerre.
- Vinyl sleeved in custom Anthology Euro sleeves
Evolution is the name of an album and a surf film, both entwined by the very nature of the material and the musical group involved, Tamam Shud. Led by Lindsay Bjerre, the quartet of surfers-turned-musicians (or the other way around) were significant purveyors of the underground progressive music movement in Australia circa 1968 - 1972.
For a group recently reborn - changing their name from The Sunsets - Paul Witzig’s latest surf film was the idea vehicle to begin their recording career. Like Witzig, they too were stretching out for total creative freedom. The subsequent sessions for the film soundtrack were just that; musical experiments unrestrained by any established parameters.
The approach Tamam Shud took to create the Evolution soundtrack was to have the film screened on the recording studio wall while the augmented group matched the action with sound, performing, essentially, a free-form musical jam. The end results were compelling enough to discard any concept of a narration - a standard procedure for all previous surfing films.
It was a bold move on the part of Tamam Shud and filmmaker Witzig, and it paid off gloriously. The film and the subsequently released Evolution album, which contained seven more Bjerre original compositions, found substantial success; the latter even being nominated for the Major Network Award as the Best Australian Album of the year.
1. Music Train Evolution
2. I'm No One
3. Mr Strange
4. Lady Sunshine
5. Falling Up
6. Feel Free
7. It's A Beautiful Day
8. Jesus Guide Me
9. Rock On Top
10. The Slow One and the Fast One
11. Too Many Life